Chief Mate Tops Winter Mixed Sale

Published: January 18, 2021 11:12 am EST

The now four-year-old Captaintreacherous stallion Chief Mate brought the highest tag at the 2021 Tattersalls Winter Mixed Sale, which took place on Monday (Jan. 18) in the paddock of The Meadowlands.

Chief Mate, a $150,000 Lexington-Select Yearling Purchase for Brittany Farms LLC, Marvin Katz, Brad Grant and Captain Kirk Racing, leaves the Tony Alagna barn following a campaign worth $228,119. The Brittany Farms-bred horse scored wins in two preliminaries for the Kindergarten Classic and a $50,000 Kentucky Sires Stakes Consolation as a two-year-old, and finished second to Catch The Fire in the $375,000 Adios Final as a three-year-old. Greg Luther of Reynoldsburg, OH purchased the stallion, sold as Hip 91, for $220,000.

Just two hips prior, the sale topper's stablemate Captain Kirk brought the second-highest purchase price of the afternoon. Captain Kirk, who was only one of two horses last year to beat Tall Dark Stranger, won an elimination for the North America Cup, finished second in a Meadowlands Pace elimination and a $67,600 Bluegrass division, and finished third in the $273,125 Cane Pace. The now four-year-old son of Captaintreacherous, bred and co-owned by Brittany Farms along with partners Marvin Katz, Brad Grant and Captain Kirk racing, has earned $291,258. Greg Luther also purchased this Alagna trainee, but for $215,000.

“They’re both nice horses,” Luther said. “Chief Mate just qualified so he’s ready to race. The other horse is going to be about 90 days out yet. This is all new for me, but we’re going to try to hit all the big dances with both of them. I think they’ll both do well as they mature into older horses.

“I ended up spending about $1.1 million on yearlings and spent about another million dollars on older racehorses in the past 30 days,” he added. “This is new for both of us, my brother and myself, to be into the higher-end horses. We’ve been definitely putting it out there to try and make 2021 a huge year for us. I’ve got an online marketing business and things have been good here in the past year-and-a-half. I’ve always wanted to get into the big leagues and it just seemed like good timing. We’re trying to get onto the Grand Circuit scene.”

The two Captains were the only ones that broke the $200,000 price-tag threshold. Karmas Delight, Hip 58, sold for the next-highest amount when purchased for $157,000 by Joseph M. Parisi of Allentown, NJ. The unraced four-year-old mare, bred by White Birch Farm and formerly owned by Brad Grant, Steve Heimbecker, David Reid and Richard Gordon, is out of the world-champion Bettors Delight mare Darlins Delight, also owned by Joseph M. Parisi.

For any other sale-related links, see below:

Tags
Have something to say about this? Log in or create an account to post a comment.